Bupa UK launches gene-ius DNA testing kit
Millions of Britons could improve their health thanks to a ‘gene-ius’ new health testing kit.
- DNA kit highlights how individuals may respond to stress, caffeine, alcohol, and physical activity
- New test is available to buy online now and in selected Bupa UK Health Clinics
Half of British adults – around 25 million people – admit they would make lifestyle changes immediately if their genetics told them more about how food, drink, exercise and sleep links to the condition of their health and wellbeing.
The research was conducted by Bupa Health Clinics to mark the launch of the Bupa SmartDNA test, which analyses how an individual’s genetic makeup may respond to certain lifestyle behaviours such as stress, caffeine, alcohol and quality of sleep.
Over a quarter of adults said understanding more about the impact of their habits on their health and how their body responded to various factors would hit home, with a quarter also saying they would seek help or advice from clinical experts on how to make a change. Only 3% said they would ignore such information as it’s not something they would worry about.
The simple saliva swab test will help highlight optimal diet type, sensitivity to particular food groups, response to alcohol and caffeine consumption, while shedding light on your body’s response to stress and helping to optimise sleep. It will also help understand how your genetics may affect the way you respond to different types of exercise, helping the individual learn more about how they can make positive changes to improve their health and wellbeing.
Sarah Melia, Clinics Director, Bupa Health Services, said: “We’re always looking to innovate to improve our offering to our customers and that’s why we’re providing access to Bupa SmartDNA. People are now much more engaged in their health and want to know how they can make improvements to their lifestyle, so this is a big step in giving them a more holistic view of their health.
“We all know that poor sleep and too much caffeine, alcohol and stress aren’t good for our health but when we learn more about how our bodies naturally react it does hit home and, therefore, we can take action. This isn’t just about spotting the ‘bad’ – it’s about understanding what your body positively responds to, and using that information to make smarter choices so you can make real-life changes to your health and wellbeing.”
The kit can be purchased online or over the phone with individual results available within 15 working days, while users will also receive a follow-up call from a lifestyle coach trained in behavioural change who will explain the findings. The service also includes a personalised wellbeing plan which will support individuals to personalise their approach to a healthy lifestyle and improve their physical and mental wellbeing, as well as a 12-week diet plan with suggested recipes tailored to their results.
Sarah continues: “What’s important is not just knowing about your health, but also getting the right support to make necessary changes. This test gives a better understanding of how your body works and, by using that information alongside a Health Assessment, we can create a bigger picture and help people to understand the impact of their lifestyle and provide support to help them be happier and healthier in the long term.”
Bupa SmartDNA is available now, online and in three London clinics, for £169 as a standalone, or for £139 as an add-on to a Bupa Health Assessment. For more information head to www.bupa.co.uk/smartdna or call 03714 542799.
How it works:
- Your Bupa SmartDNA kit will be sent out in the post within three days of buying online
- When it arrives, open it up and your swab will be inside along with details on how to access your results online afterwards
- Simply swab around your mouth for a minute – whether you’re at home on the sofa, at work on your lunch break, or wherever you’re most comfortable – and then post it back for free
- The lab will have your results ready online within 15 days
- A personal lifestyle coach will then be in touch to help you plan a smarter lifestyle tailored to your DNA.
Notes to editors:
- Millions of Britons could improve their health thanks to a ‘gene-ius’ new health testing kit - 86% of UK adults said they would make changes
- Half of British adults – around 25 million people - admit they would make lifestyle changes immediately if their genetics told them more about how food, drink, exercise and sleep links to the condition of their health and wellbeing - 48% of UK adults said they would make changes immediately
- The research - research conducted in February 2019 among 2,000 British UK adults
- Over a quarter of adults said understanding more about the impact of their habits on their health and how their body responded to various factors would hit home - 26% of UK adults
- With a quarter also saying they would seek help or advice from clinical experts on how to make a change - 25% of UK adults
- Only 3% said they would ignore such information as it’s not something they would worry about - 3% of UK adults
About Bupa Health Clinics:
- With more than 50 Bupa health centres across the UK, we offer a range of trusted health services close to where people live and work.
- Bupa clinics are open to everyone, whether you have Bupa insurance or not.
- Our health and dental clinics offer a range of everyday health services from GP and physiotherapy appointments and health assessments to general, cosmetic and specialist dentistry.
- Bupa’s range of health assessments give people a snapshot of their health and help them make informed decisions.
- Our health assessments are designed to make sure people engage with their health before the assessment, and have continued support to meet their goals afterwards.
- Your Health Advisor will also help you set relevant goals, give you access to the Bupa Boost app to keep you on track and your advisor will call you in the months following to coach and help you. You'll also have 24/7 access to a GP for a whole year for yourself and family who live with you.
- Bupa clinics are on the high street across the country and offer: health assessments, health services like GP appointments, dental appointments including orthodontics and cosmetic dentistry, dermatology, physiotherapy, osteopathy and podiatry.
Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
We serve 15.5m health insurance customers, provide healthcare to over 14.5m people in our clinics and hospitals and look after over 22,000 aged care residents.
We directly employ over 78,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the USA, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland. We also have associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
Health insurance accounts for the majority our business. In some markets we also operate clinics, dental centres, hospitals, and care homes and villages.
For more information, visit www.bupa.com.