Bupa and Waitrose launch partnership to improve shoppers’ health
Bupa and Waitrose's exclusive partnership will offer shoppers a range of in-store health services and activities.
Leading healthcare provider Bupa and Waitrose are to create an exclusive partnership offering shoppers a range of health services and activities. From 4 June 2018, 17 Waitrose shops will be trialling a range of different Bupa services to help customers get tailored advice on their health.
Services will include:
- Health stations: Customers can self-test their BMI, height, weight and blood pressure
- Mini health assessments: Bupa Health Advisers will be on-hand to analyse key health measurements and share tailored health and fitness advice
- New health assessments: A range of Bupa health assessments will be available, including new, shorter appointments
- Bupa expert talks: Specialists from Bupa will host a series of evening talks
Sarah Melia, Director, Bupa Health Clinics said: “In a UK first, supermarket customers will get the chance to try a range of leading Bupa services. By making it easy to access, we’re confident this will help them make long term health and lifestyle changes.
“Like Waitrose, we are committed to supporting our customers to lead healthier and active lifestyles, making the partnership a natural fit for the brands.”
Moira Howie, Nutrition & Health Manager, Waitrose, said: “Many shoppers have the best intentions to be healthier but busy lives get in the way. We know that helpful advice can get people started and have a positive effect on their long-term health.
"This range of services from Bupa, who are experts in their field, complements a number of health initiatives we launched earlier in the year to help customers live healthier lives.”
As part of the new partnership, Bupa will trial a range of new health assessments for the first time, which are shorter than those currently available in Bupa’s 50 health clinics. Customers can book in for a 20 or 30 minute appointment with a Bupa Health Advisor. Some appointments will be followed by telephone coaching sessions.
Sarah Melia adds: “Our health assessments are a great way of taking stock of your health and making positive steps to improve it – 69%* of people who chose weight as their focus during their health assessment lost weight with our support - so we’re looking forward to seeing what impact the new, shorter health assessments we’re introducing will have.”
The series of events will start on the 4th June and end on the 1st September, at 17 Waitrose stores.
For more information visit www.bupa.co.uk/waitrose
- ENDS -
*2017 health assessment outcome data. Based on 1,733 customers who chose weight as their focus area and completed the journey.
The events will include:
- Customers will have the opportunity to self-test their health in under five minutes using a Bupa Health Station free of charge.
- Tests include blood pressure, BMI, height, weight, heart rate and body fat percentage.
- Users will receive a personalised report, 20% discount on a future health assessment booking and supporting information once they’ve completed the test.
- Available in Waitrose’s Milngavie, Altrincham, Pontprennau, Canary Wharf and Basingstoke stores from 4 June 2018 for eight consecutive weeks.
Mini health assessments
- Bupa Health Advisors will be on hand to check customers’ blood pressure, BMI and height to waist ratio, and provided with supporting information free of charge.
- Customers will receive a 20% discount on a future health assessment booking.
- Available in Waitrose’s Cambridge (15 June), Solihull (21 June), Worcester (22 June), Newbury (28 June), Kings Cross (5 July), and Chester (13 July) stores.
- Customers can book in for:
- ‘Know Your Numbers’ – a new assessment - which consists of a 30 minute appointment with a Bupa Health Advisor. Priced at £50.
- ‘Health Core’ – a 60 minute appointment with a Bupa Health Advisor and 2 x follow up lifestyle coaching calls. Customers will also have a full body MSK assessment and key blood tests are included. Priced at £150.
- Face to face appointment and 2 x follow up coaching calls package – a 20 minute appointment with a Bupa Health Advisor followed by 2 x 20 minutes follow up coaching calls. Priced at £80.
- Throughout all appointments the Health Advisor will work with customers to understand how they can best make positive changes to their lifestyle, and the coaching calls will be used to monitor progress and share any further advice as needed.
- Available in Milngavie (25-26 June, 3-4 July), Cheltenham (23-24 July, 30-31 July), Banbury (6-7 August, 14-15 August) and Worcester (24-25 August, 31 August and 1 September) stores.
- In Waitrose Southend (29 June, 6 July, 13 July, 20 July, 27 July, 3 August), customers can choose between 1, 3 or 6 x 20 minute appointment(s) with a Bupa Health Advisor. Prices start at £30.
- Customers can book online: www.bupa.co.uk/waitrose
Bupa expert talks
- A Bupa Health Advisor will host a 30 minute evening talk about a specific nutrition topic, for example mindful eating, nutrition and fitness plans to achieve peak performance
- Customers can book online: www.bupa.co.uk/waitrose
- Available in Waitrose Truro (25 June), Salisbury (2 July), Cheltenham (12 July), York (18 July) and Newbury (26 July) stores
About Waitrose Health and Wellbeing
Waitrose is committed to providing a range of products, services and experiences to help its customers lead healthier lives. Earlier this year, Waitrose announced the launch of Healthy Eating Specialists. In a retail first, these shop floor specialists direct customers who ask towards healthier choices. 100 will be in place by the end of the year. Waitrose is also moving to the next stage of its trial for personal nutrition consultations, and for the first time, testing outside of London, at its Basingstoke shop. The supermarket has also launched its new magazine ‘Waitrose Health’. In addition, Waitrose has now put its new ‘Good Health’ label on a wide range of products to make it easier for customers to make healthier choices. Waitrose will also be increasing health information available to customers, including: tips and inspiration in its publications and online; plus advice and classes from experts, including Shona Vertue and Professor Greg Whyte.
Waitrose has 353 shops in England, Scotland, Wales and the Channel Islands, including 65 convenience branches, and another 27 shops at Welcome Break locations. It combines the convenience of a supermarket with the expertise and service of a specialist shop - dedicated to offering quality food that has been responsibly sourced, combined with high standards of customer service.
Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our absolute focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
We have 15.5 million health insurance customers, provide healthcare to around 14.5 million people in our clinics and hospitals, and look after over 23,300 aged care residents.
We employ over 78,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the USA, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland, and many more through our associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
Health insurance is around 70% of our business. In a number of countries, we also run clinics, dental centres, hospitals and care homes and villages.
For more information, visit www.bupa.com