Bupa UK launches 30-minute ‘lunch break’ male health check
Bupa UK has launched a check specifically designed to provide assessment and advice for prostate and testicular cancer. Within 30 minutes, customers will be much clearer about their health in relation to these male-specific areas, either identifiying the need for further tests or giving the reassurance they needed.
- New male health check provides assessment and advice for prostate and testicular cancer
- 30-minute check means men can fit it around busy working schedules
- Bupa responds to spike in male health assessment bookings in 2018 and increased awareness of prostate cancer
Male Health Check was developed in response to an increase in health assessment bookings earlier this year, which Bupa puts down to prostate cancer diagnosis being in the news. In March 2018, Bupa saw a 28% uplift in male health assessment bookings compared to the same time last year, and a 43% year-on-year increase in April 2018.
Prostate cancer is now the most common form of cancer in men, with 130 new cases reported every day in the UK, while there are around 2,300 new testicular cancer cases in the UK every year, the equivalent of more than six each day.
Dr Luke Powles, Associate Clinical Director, Bupa UK, said: “Cancer awareness has significantly improved so it’s good to see that men in particular are being more proactive about their health.
“The reality is that men can still be reluctant to take time out for a health check. That’s why we created this specific, short check-up, which is designed to give men peace of mind around prostate and testicular cancer, while fitting in easily around their diaries.”
The check, which costs £154, is available in 49 Bupa health clinics across the UK and can be offered as same-day appointments. Men will have the chance to discuss any concerns or family history of prostate and testicular problems, and then undergo relevant examination and the PSA test, if appropriate, to look for signs and symptoms, with quick onward referrals arranged if necessary. They will also get advice on self checking, and what factors may contribute to individual risk of developing prostate and testicular cancer.
Dr Powles added: “As we know, an early cancer diagnosis can improve someone’s survival rate. The Male Health Check gives customers the chance to understand their own individual risk of developing a male-specific cancer and detect an issue they may potentially have, all within a half an hour appointment.”
For more information on the Male Health Check, visit www.bupa.co.uk/payg/gp-services/mens-health
About Bupa Health Clinics:
- With 49 Bupa health centres across the UK, we offer a range of trusted health services close to where people live and work.
- Bupa clinics are open to everyone, whether you have Bupa insurance or not.
- Our health and dental clinics offer a range of everyday health services from GP and physiotherapy appointments and health assessments to general, cosmetic and specialist dentistry.
- Bupa’s range of health assessments give people a snapshot of their health and help them make informed decisions.
- Our health assessments are designed to make sure people engage with their health before the assessment, and have continued support to meet their goals afterwards.
- Your Health Assessor will also help you set relevant goals, give you access to the Bupa Boost app to keep you on track and your advisor will call you in the months following to coach and help you. You'll also have 24/7 access to a GP for a whole year for yourself and family who live with you.
- Bupa clinics are on the high street across the country and offer: health assessments, health services like GP appointments, dental appointments including orthodontics and cosmetic dentistry, dermatology, physiotherapy, osteopathy and podiatry.
Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
We serve 15.5m health insurance customers, provide healthcare to over 14.5m people in our clinics and hospitals and look after over 22,900 aged care residents.
We directly employ over 78,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the USA, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland. We also have associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
Health insurance accounts for the majority our business. In some markets we also operate clinics, dental centres, hospitals, and care homes and villages.
For more information, visit www.bupa.com.